Friday, 22 June 2007

Interview

I just got back from my interview at the Uni's Marketing and Communications Department.

Background knowledge required to see how big a deal that is: Just in case you don't already know, i did a Bachelor of Communications and have a passion for Marketing so hearing that M&C were looking for a temporary administrator for a month made me extremely happy. The secretaries at the University have a group email and they often send round email when they're looking for temps etc so it was so sweet of Envilo to think about me when she saw the email for M&C asking for a temp. She printed it out and left it at my desk when i was away sick 3 weeks ago. So needless to say the first thing i did when i saw it that morning was send an email to offer my services.

Back to the story: I met up with the administrator who's going away for a month and the Director and they liked me. YAY! I had a real nice chat with them and the only thing that needs to be sorted out before i can say an official YES is my work permit. I have my first appointment (for the full med-check) on Monday at 11.30Am (the good thing is it's at the Uni's medical centre so i can just pop out of work for a bit and get it done) then the nurse will make a seconf appointment. I will have to head off and get X-rays and blood tests done too but those places are normally open after 5 so i hope to go after work. But yeah, they like me...It will be such an amazing experience to see the behind-the-scenes. This isn't the School of Marketing, this is the actual people who are in charged of Massey University's marketing, advertising and public reputation. They do all the publications, website ad campaigns...Mind-blowing. I plan to absorb all the research i find about the deparment so i'll fit in real fast. They said that because i have a communications background they just might get me to write some of their media releases...WOW!! And if there's any marketing stuff that i think i could help with i just have to put my hand up...Talk about opportunities!! ...The Law is at work...Woah

So as you can see, i'm very excited about it all..Although i do feel a tad bad about leaving my current boss personal-assistant-less...He said the other day when i talked to him about this potential gig that if they pay me better and it's a better option that i should go for it. So yeah...

Yesterday something really cool happened. I was waiting at the Uni bus stop reading when a girl came up to me and asked which bus went into town. She said she hadn't caught one of the Massey busses before so hadn't the faintest idea which one went where. So i told her, i'm going into town, you can a 15, it'll be here by 4.30PM. So she sat down and i went back to my book...then i had a thought that maybe there was a reason why she made a connection with me (the Law maybe?) so i started a conversation. The best start-up line in the world: "I love you shoes, where did you get them?" Lol, we ended up talking the whole way in the bus and she was so lovely. Her name was Tamson which i thought was very unique and she's studying to be a Maori kindy teacher. We launched into a real in depth conversation where we talked about shoes, bags, fashion, shopping, boyfriends, sports, tickets, family, Auckland...This was like a 30 min conversation. It was cool to talk to someone who actually lived in Auckland seeing as i'm headed down that path in 2-3 months. She said it's so much more 'happening', there are boutiques as well as reasonably prices places like Palmy except way way more. I'm not sure why we got on so well but even if it was to brighten up my mundane bus trip home i'm thankful, she was a gem. She told me where she works so i might drop in sometime. Oh and i did actually find out where she got her shoes, even got to ask whether they were comfortable or not and she said they were. So i'm off to buy me some after work! They were black pointy flats that have a big buckle on the front with white stitching.

Shopping spree with Toby after work. Friday late night shopping goes until 7PM!! To those of you who have lived in Malaysia i know that is nothing because we have places open 24/7 but in New Zealand, it is a big deal. Yeeyah, pay day was yesterday too so i can go shopping..woot woot!

It was so heart-warming to see more and more people dropping by here and leaving shout-outs for me. Thank you all, it makes writing a real interactive experience and continues to motivate me to write more. But hey, none of you commented about me deciding to go platinum blonde?! Are you kidding me...so come on, i value your opinion so tell me what you're really thinking. It would be such a drastic thing to do but i'm on a mission to try and experience life - SO, i've always wanted blonde hair. There are so many african-american chickas that have bleach blonde hair and they look funky-as. I think with my skin tone and the right SHADE of blonde it will look cool. Worth a try though...i'm going to make an appointment with my hairdresser now.
I now have a CONSULT at 12.30 tomorrow and a COLOUR at 1.45...I'll have a chat with Cat, she always knows. She became my hairdresser by sheer chance actually, i use to have Lauren. Cat took my appointment when i wanted to go for the chop last year. Don't worry, i will post before and after photos in a second. Lauren was busy so i asked Cat if she was up for the challenge and she was so cute and hyper like most of the people who are dear to me or make a lasting impression. Ever since then, nobody else touches my hair...The last time i was in i made an appointment to get a chunk of red put in my fringe but i had to cancel at the last minute. She thought a nice deep purpley-red would look good as a low-light and i thought so too. So tomorrow, i'll ask her what she thinks about the blonde thing and if she thinks it's a massive NO NO i might just do the low light. SO sorry for those of you who don't give a rat's ass about my hair that i have gone on about it for this entire paragraph. At the very least, think of it as seeing the inner workings of a genius' mind...some mundane thoughts do still exist. LOL
I have so many things to look forward to today...I love that...
I'm having coffee with my friend Mark at about 1PM. I met him in Creative Writing class in my first year. I wonder if i can trap him and take a photo of him so you can complete another add-image-to-character sequence.
Then shopping with Toby after work and a nice night in. Oh and of course, no 6.30AM wake-up call tomorrow either. BLISS...
TGIF...Muahahaha...

5 comments:

Mark Dittmer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Dittmer said...

Hey Deb. It was good to see you today. We'll have to do it again real soon. Oh, and as you can tell, I managed to get to your blog. - Mark

Debz Domain - My Realm, My Music said...

YAY! Mark found my blog...
For everyone else's benefit - this is the Mark that i had coffee with today. We had a fun time and i did manage to trap him and take a photo so i'll post it up real soon!
Hugs....

Raymond said...

I like this blog, thanks for the advertisement in the message you sent me haha. I guess you could call this a candid essay, Dr. Eastham would be proud; he's my favourite lecturer, you know?! I like the American/Asian blonde, I think I'll be a big fan of hers haha. Just wanted to say hello again, and thanks for including my photo-blog as part of your site - very cool! I will indeed be back often to catch up on all the goss, this is what I like to see!

Totally awesome Debs, take great care; look forward to catching up with you sometime, have a hug filled day!

Smiles all round,
Raymond. AKA

http://plagiarist.aminus3.com

Anonymous said...

you mean complete blonde or highlights? highlights would be interesting, complete blonde, novel...

i trust you will have pictures up when you take the plunge.

=)